From as long as I can
remember, music has always played a big role and been a big part of my life.
The radio in my house’s kitchen was constantly playing since I was no age, and
my entire family have always been interested in music. I suppose it only makes
sense that I’ve had such a fondness of it myself ever since. One thing that I always
was fascinated by was hip hop and rap music, and ever since I was about 10 or
11 I’ve been discovering new styles and artists from that genre in particular. Around
2017 I discovered Mac Miller through YouTube rabbit holes and instantly became
a fan. I found that I was able to relate to Mac’s music, as well as him as a
person.
In August 2018, Mac Miller
released Swimming, which unfortunately turned out to be his final release
before his sad passing the following month. I remember my first listen to it on
its release and being blown away, it instantly became one of my favourite
pieces of music, and to this day it remains that way.

Swimming begins with the now appropriately
titled Come Back to Earth’ where Mac cleverly uses metaphors to speak about
the ongoing issues and battles in his life. I feel as though this track sets
the tone almost perfectly for the rest of the album. At the time of this
release, it was common knowledge that Miller had an ongoing battle with substance
abuse, and many other personal issues seemed to be piling up within his life
which he was struggling with. One particular line used in this song relates to
this, as well as being tied in with the album title, ‘I was drowning but now I’m
swimming/through stressful waters to relief’. Personally I took these lines as
a sigh of relief, in that Mac had overcame his battles and was no longer in a
bad place and could begin to go back to being the happy and loud character he
once was. Throughout the song itself, Mac is expressing his desire and struggle
to find self-acceptance while going through a very rough episode of his life.
Mac had previously spoke about how he wanted to find a balance of his emotions
as opposed being solely being happy or sad, so this line could perhaps also be
a reflection of his emotion in relation to that.

The second song off the album
is titled Hurt Feelings. Instantly you can tell it has a more upbeat energy around
it, setting the mood for how the song is to be interpreted. He speaks about how
he is growing as a person and is developing rather than remaining the same
person he’s always been, he acknowledges the fact that he has chosen to move on
and accept the person he has now become. The song is titled Hurt Feelings as he
says he hopes that his decision to change as a person hasn’t insulted anyone. ‘I’m
always saying I won’t change but/I ain’t the same’ is the opening line to this
song, signifying that Mac has always said he wouldn’t change who he was as a
person as he continues to get more famous and successful, and wouldn’t let it
get to his head, but more recently, he’s discovered that he is now a different
person to what he was before the fame. Obviously, the more popular Mac’s music
became meant that he would be gaining a lot of attention from the media and
public, as well as money and fame. He highlights the fact that he can’t complain
about the situation his life is in, as he is incredibly successful and rich,
however he also accepts the fact that he is no longer just normal Malcom
McCormick from Pittsburgh.

Thank you for taking the time
to read. As this blog is continued, I will discuss further into Swimming, with
an in depth description of every song. To keep up to date with posts to this
blog, you can follow my Instagram account, @swimmingbyshane, where I will be
notifying my followers about recent posts.
Comments
Post a Comment