Skip to main content

Conversation Pt.1

Now comfortably past the halfway point in Swimming, we come to a stage in the album where Mac enters a more experimental episode, as is demonstrated and displayed throughout Conversation Pt.1. This is argued to be one of the songs on the album with a deeper meaning, and can be quite heavy. Another factor that helps grant this song its legendary status throughout Mac’s fanbase is the fact that it is now highly unlikely, unless it was recorded before his passing, that we will ever hear a Conversation Pt.2, where we get to look at things from another perspective.

On this track, Mac Miller takes a step inside his own head, and the song encapsulates that feeling almost impeccably.  He gives us the feeling that he is having a conversation with someone else, talking about himself, and almost encouraging the other party to make something useful of themselves with their life.

People always talk about their life and plans, and what they would do if they had X amount of money or fame, but very few people actually act upon these saying and feelings, and it becomes apparent that Mac is somewhat frustrated by that, as he believes every person has a purpose in life and can be exactly who they want to be. It’s very clear that Mac Miller always wanted to be a musician, as he put so much time and effort into it from such an early age. He had a number 1 album at the age of 19 and continued to hone his craft after that to get even better. One of the lines from the song is ‘Said it’s your money if you make it/Otherwise it’s just a conversation’. This relates to the topic of the ‘conversation’ that Mac is having throughout the track, whereby instead of talking about making all this money, you should go out and make moves to try and make it.

Personally, I found this song to be really inspirational, as not only is it Mac’s way of telling you to go out and make something of yourself, or do what you’ve always dreamed of, but it’s also a way of him using himself as an example of where hard work and acting on your aspirations can actually get you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming by Mac Miller

From as long as I can remember, music has always played a big role and been a big part of my life. The radio in my house’s kitchen was constantly playing since I was no age, and my entire family have always been interested in music. I suppose it only makes sense that I’ve had such a fondness of it myself ever since. One thing that I always was fascinated by was hip hop and rap music, and ever since I was about 10 or 11 I’ve been discovering new styles and artists from that genre in particular. Around 2017 I discovered Mac Miller through YouTube rabbit holes and instantly became a fan. I found that I was able to relate to Mac’s music, as well as him as a person. In August 2018, Mac Miller released Swimming , which unfortunately turned out to be his final release before his sad passing the following month. I remember my first listen to it on its release and being blown away, it instantly became one of my favourite pieces of music, and to this day it remains that way. Swimming begins wi...

Self Care and Wings

Further into Swimming, we discover more information on not only the current situation of Mac’s life, but more about his feelings and emotions at the time surround the making of the album. The fifth track on Swimming is called Self Care , and is the lead single from the album. Since it’s release, it has amassed over 380 million streams on Spotify alone. It does become evident as to why Self Care is so popular from its first listen, as it can be classed into numerous genres, which all suit Mac’s general fanbase, as well as having that ever-present, yet unique touch that only he could provide to a song. Self Care begins with an intriguing intro, initially leaving you wondering what direction the song is going to. It leads into the beat dropping for the first time and diving straight into the chorus and in the first verse is where we hear a clever use of wording once again, ‘ Swear the height be too tall/So like September I fall ’. So initially, Mac is talking about trying to climb over ...

Dunno

The tenth track from Swimming , which is one of my personal favourites, is titled Dunno . It has such a laid back and relaxing feel to it, it’s just one of those songs where you can put on at any time and instantly feel like you’re travelling through another dimension, where everything is perfect. Personally, in any situation where I feel overwhelmed with stress or anxiety, I listen to Swimming as a whole, but this track is my absolute go-to to calm me down, and not once has it served me wrong. Despite the feeling and endorphins that the music gives to the listener, the lyrics of Dunno are actually quite saddening, and the song is widely considered to be largely dedicated to Ariana Grande. Other songs on the record are often cryptic, leaving listeners and fans in the dark and wondering who the lyrics are about, whereas on Dunno, it’s made quite clear that Mac has wrote it about Ariana. Mac is reminiscent of times where she was around, and he was care-free of what was going on in the wo...